The new IHG PointBreaks list was released today and it is live and ready to book for stays from May 27 to July 31, 2014. For anyone new to Pointbreaks it is a stellar promotion by IHG Rewards Club that offers hotel award nights for a discounted 5,000 points per night.
The full list of the 150 hotels is out and can be viewed here and you can book through the links on that page starting today.
The list is less than jaw dropping to say the least, and has no InterContinental hotels, which is a huge setback in my opinion. Part of the draw to PointBreaks for many was to score IC hotel stays at a huge discount, and potentially book some stays that they normally wouldn’t spend 35k to 50k points per night on.
The new list is, how do I say nicely, far from inspiring. With only 3 properties Asia was nearly left off completely. In total there are 0 InterContinental and 14 Crowne Plaza properties. That said, some of the more better hotels include:
- CROWNE PLAZA BANGKOK LUMPINI PARK
- HOLIDAY INN SUVA
- HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS MILAN – MALPENSA AIRPORT
- CROWNE PLAZA VILNIUS
- CROWNE PLAZA BUCHAREST
- HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS BARCELONA – MONTMELO
- HOLIDAY INN BURSA
- HOLIDAY INN RESORT GOA
- CROWNE PLAZA ANA UBE
- CROWNE PLAZA JOHANNESBURG – THE ROSEBANK
- HOTEL INDIGO SAN JOSE FORUM COSTA RICA
The list as a whole? Asia, hit hard with properties few and far between. South America, well, it’s never really been there. Europe, eh…there are a handful of potentially useful Holiday Inns and Crowne Plazas spread across the EU. The US, maybe you can find one if you plan on driving across the country or staying outside a larger city.
IHG seems to have removed InterContinental properties and replaced them with more Crowne Plazas, which is far from a fair trade. If this trend continues, it just may mean that IHG may be close to its end of giving some of its more lucrative promotions.
The one property I was excited about was the Crowne Plaza Bangkok Lumpini Park and I ended up booking 6 days in June. This appears to be a great deal at a nice IHG property for anyone heading to Thailand in the next couple months.
Like always, the list of properties in the US looks mostly useful for anyone planning a roadtrip or already heading to some of these destinations. The list really comes down to what properties you can find useful with your travels and if they work, then it’s a great way to book some discounted award nights at 5k per night.
Quick Guide to IHG Point Breaks
Every few months, IHG releases a new list of PointBreaks hotels from various properties around the world including InterContinental (in the past), Holiday Inn and Crowne Plaza. During the IHG PointBreaks promotion, the nightly rates are reduced down to 5,000 points per night regardless of the category until the hotel runs out of eligible rooms.
The promotion offers a great value for stays at hotels that have nightly rates between 20,000 to 50,000 points especially if you had your eye on a particular location or you are headed to a destination that is eligible for the PointBreaks offer. The key is to book your stay as soon as possible because there are only a handful of PointBreaks availabilities per location.
Tips for Booking IHG Point Breaks
- Many people book the minute the list goes live, but few people check back a week or month later. If you can’t find any availability after the blitz at the start it’s always worth checking back towards the end of the promotion to see if the hotel released more award nights.
- Book as soon as you find a location that you would like to stay in before the offer runs out because each location has a limited amount of PointBreaks reservations that they provide.
- You can only make two PointBreaks reservations per month, per hotel with the new rules implemented by IHG. It may be possible to book a 3rd reservation within the same month after the first stay is completed.
- PointBreaks Reservations are fully refundable, so if you have to cancel your stay you will get all of your points deposited back into your account.