Important update: Wyndham has pulled the promotion, do not donate your points to participate!
Hot on the heals of being ranked the top hotel program for cashing in rewards, Wyndham Rewards is offering SPG members a 4 to 1 points swap and automatic status match.
This is a very interesting and aggressive promotion to try to
gain steal customers from SPG before the merger.
I guess Wyndham Rewards is thinking that SPG customers may feel uneasy about the merger and and could possibly be looking for another hotel program to by loyal to.
This offer may just be enough for some to jump ship, but first let’s take a look at the details.
4:1 Points Swap + Status Match
For only 12 hours today, Wyndham Rewards is offering a 4 to 1 points trade-up when SPG members donate their Starpoints to charity.
Plus, you’ll also get an automatic status level match with Wyndham Rewards equivalent to your current SPG status level.
Here are the full promotion details:
“Now Wyndham Rewards wants to spread the magic of its award-winning program by giving SPG members an unprecedented opportunity to swap their points at a 4 to 1 ratio, plus receive a status level match, but they have to act fast.
- On Tuesday, October 11 from 12p.m. – 11:59p.m. EST, SPG members have the historic opportunity to donate their points to an SPG linked charity in exchange for 4x the number of points with Wyndham Rewards – plus a status level match.
- To participate, members simply need to donate their entire SPG point balance to their preferred, approved charity, and then send proof of their donation to Wyndham Rewards by sending screen shots to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Two (2) screen shots are required – one showing confirmation of the point donation; and a second showing the member’s account activity page with a zero balance upon completion of the transaction.
- There is no cap on how many points members may donate or earn. Members can expect to receive the points and match within 10 days.
- Wyndham Rewards is the only program in the world to offer its members a free-night stay at any of its nearly 8,000 hotels for a flat 15,000 points with no blackout dates.
- For more information, visit the Wyndham Rewards Facebook page at facebook.com/wyndhamrewards. Full terms and conditions are available here.”
Wyndham Rewards Points Value
Remember Wyndham overhauled their award chart in 2015 and made every hotel cost a flat rate of 15,000 points per night. Before the change Wyndham award nights cost 5,500 to 50,000 points per night.
Here are a few interesting and high-value properties that I came across:
- Dolce Silverado Resort and Spa
- The Mills House Wyndham Grand Hotel
- Wyndham Grand Orlando Bonnet Creek
- The Mining Exchange, A Wyndham Grand Hotel
- Wyndham New Yorker
- TRYP Times Square South
- Wyndham Hotel Melbourne
In the past cost these top-tier properties would cost 30,000 – 50,000 points per night and many run ~$200+ or more per night. However, now all these hotels only cost 15,000 points per night!
You’ll have to trade in 3,750 SPG points to get a free night at any Wyndham property (15,000 points per night).
If you value SPG points at 2.2 cents each, this means it will cost roughly $82.5 per night (3,750 SPG points X 2.2 cents each) in value of SPG points to get a free night at any Wyndham hotel—which if done right you can get much more in value!
If you redeem the 3,750 SPG points at a Wyndham property that costs $200 per night you’d be getting roughly 5.33 cents in value per SPG point!
Take for example, the Dolce Silverado Resort that runs around ~$300 per night in the summer months.
There appears to be good award night availability, so it would be easy to redeem 15,000 points for a stay here and get close to $300 in value.
There are also many great Dolce properties in Europe, you can find a full list of them here.
Where Can You Use Wyndham Points
When you think of Wyndham Hotels and Resorts hotel brands like Day Inn, Travelodge, Howard Johnson, and Super 8 may come to mind.
You can earn and use Wyndham Rewards points at any of the following 15 hotel brands:
- Baymont Inn and Suites
- Days Inn
- Hawthorn Suites
- Howard Johnson
- Knights Inn
- Super 8
- Tryp by Wyndham
- Wingate by Wyndham
- Wyndham by Wyndham
- Wyndham Garden by Wyndham
- Wyndham Grand by Wyndham
Clearly, to maximize the value of your points you’ll want to redeem only at upper-tier hotels!
This could be a great option if you if you can find useful Wyndham Rewards properties or just plain want to give the program a try.
There is obviously value to be had with a 4X SPG points trade-up if you can use the Wyndham Rewards points at valuable hotels at the flat 15,000 point per night rate. At the very least you can quickly and easily earn Wyndham status.
|Barclaycard Arrival Plus™ World Elite MasterCard®|
|Bonus: 40,000 miles after spending $3,000 in the first 90 days.
-- 2X points per dollar spent on all purchases.
-- Get 5% of your miles back when you redeem your points, to use on your next redemption.
-- Chip+PIN technology, which can be useful for international travel.
-- Complimentary online FICO® Credit Score
-- No foreign transaction fees.
Annual fee: $89
Quick review: The Arrival Plus card is one of my favorite all-around 2X earning cards. The 50,000 mile sign-up bonus is worth $525 in free travel and easy to redeem!