Well since the world did not actually end on December 21, 2012–it looks like we can start to plan for 2013. I don’t always believe in setting new years resolutions, but I do think it provides a great opportunity to refresh your goals. I would like to provide some ideas to get you motivated to keep earning and travelling well with miles and points–because after all, I know everyone reading this blogs loves to travel on miles as much as I do!
Some great tips and strategies that will insure a great year for points & miles:
1. Know your miles! By keeping track of your points and miles, you will be able to know how to get the most value out of them in your travels. The two best ways to do this is to use GoMiles.com or AwardWallet.com. Both are a reliable and easy way to keep track of your miles.
2. Keep up-to-date with credit card offers that offer the best bonuses by signing up with our email updates.
3. Use your credit cards for all purchases–big and small. You should be using credit cards for almost all of your purchases unless they incur a fee–and even then sometimes a small fee is worth the miles that you will rack up from lets say paying your property taxes with a card.
4. Remember to register and sign up your credit cards such as the Chase Freedom and Discover More to receive the rotating 5% cash back categories. Also, get to know your cards and make sure to use the card that will earn the most rewards on qualifying purchases.
5. Sign up for Dine-In Rewards programs with airlines such as American Airlines that earn you miles per every dollar you spend.
6. Make sure your cards fit your needs and that you are earning some type of reward with every purchase using a card. With the credit card options out there today there is no reason that all of your cards should not be rewards cards–and even better, that you earn a nice welcome bonus for each of those cards. Take a look at all of the cards in your wallet and ask yourself: Do you earn rewards/perks? Do you cash in any miles or points regularly?
If the card no longer fulfills your needs, it is time to close one or two of these cards and gear up for a good welcome bonus on a rewards card that better suits your needs.
7. Have fun! This is the most important resolution that you can make for the coming year. We all know that we enjoy cashing in our points for some great vacation time and trips, but make sure that you enjoy the adventures along the way while you earn all of your miles and points.
Thanks for reading and Happy New Years!