During my last round of credit card applications I applied for both the Gold Delta SkyMiles Credit Card from American Express and the Gold Delta SkyMiles Business Credit Card from American Express.
At the time both cards were offering 50,000 miles plus a $50 statement credit as a welcome bonus (OFFERS EXPIRED). The requirement of each welcome bonus included spending $2,000 to earn the 50,000 miles and making a Delta purchase within the first 3 months.
Delta Gift Cards Qualify For $50 Statement Credit
After meeting the spending requirement on both cards I had the 100,000 miles (50,000 miles per card) post to my account, but I still had to make a Delta purchase to trigger the $50 statement credit on my accounts.
From reports around the web I read that purchasing Delta eGift cards will do the trick, so I decided to give it a try to confirm it was still working. The smallest value gift card is $50, which means you'll essentially be transferring your statement credit value directly into a gift card that never expires.
I purchased $50 eGift cards with both of my cards and had the statement credit post the day after the transaction posted. Success!
Remember you only have three months to make a Delta purchase to trigger the $50 statement credit. If you don't have a upcoming Delta purchase then this is one of the best ways to get the credit and keep the value for later use.
How To Use Delta eGift Cards, Rules, Etc.
- Allow 72 hours after purchase before redeeming your eGift Card
- When booking a ticket on delta.com, select the "Certificates and eCredits" option.
- Enter the Certificate Number and Redemption Code found on eGift email (it's important not to loose these numbers as Delta does not keep track of them).
- If there is still a balance after the purchase of your Delta ticket, you'll get a new eGift Card in the sum of that balance amount issued to you.
- You are limited to 3 eGift Cards per redemption/transaction.
- eGifts cards may only be used for purchase price of air transportation, including taxes, fees, and surcharges imposed on the air transportation.
- eGift cards may not be used for any additional fees (including baggage fees) or for any other products or services (including class upgrades, in-flight purchases, premium seating, mileage booster, SkyMiles Cruises, cargo, hotel stays, or car rentals).
- eGifts and Cards may only be used for travel on Delta Air Lines marketed flights, including those operated as Delta Connection® and by Delta Air Lines codeshare partners with a Delta Air Lines flight number.